About UCLG ASPAC
United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is the largest regional section of UCLG, an amalgamation of International Union of Local Authorities (IULA), United Towns Organisation (UTO), and World Association of the Major Metropolises (METROPOLIS). UCLG was established on 1 January 2004 and is headquartered in Barcelona, Spain. Following this unification, UCLG ASPAC was established in Taipei on 14 April 2004, as the new entity of IULA ASPAC.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia- Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programmes, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies that safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising local economic development, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralisation, municipal finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment and good governance.
‘Local Empowerment, Advocacy and Development (LEAD) for SDGs localisation in Pakistan’ is a 4-years (2019-23) programme, co-funded by the Delegation of European Union in Pakistan (EU) and United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) to support the Pakistan’s national government and Balochistan and Sindh provincial governments to localise and achieve the 2030 Agenda. This programme is implemented by the UCLG ASPAC, in partnership with its member organisations Association for Development of Local Governance (ADLG), the Local Council Associations of Balochistan (LCAB) and Sindh (LCAS).
The programme supports the Government of Pakistan in mainstreaming and localising the SDGs, in line with National and Provincial Frameworks. The programme is enhancing institutional capacities and strengthening local governments for improved public service delivery for better livelihood of local communities. It shall overall impact on the lives of 61 million residents of the Provinces of Sindh and Balochistan.
LEAD for SDGs Programme Pakistan is currently calling for applications from qualified candidates to fill in the post of a Finance & Admin Officer for LEAD for SDGs Programme Pakistan based in Karachi, Sindh. The post assigned is to support the implementation of LEAD for SDGs Programme Pakistan in Sindh Province.
Under the supervision of the Provincial Coordinator- Sindh & Finance & Administration Manager based in Islamabad, the Finance & Admin Officer will be handling the day-to-day activities of LEAD for SDGs Programme Pakistan implemented at the provincial level. This position holder will be required to closely work with the Finance & Administration Manager to execute a robust financial system for LEAD for SDGs Programme in Sindh Province. The person will also be responsible for the execution of Financial cycle by ensuring due compliance. The position holder will closely be working with Project and Output Leads in budget preparation, revisions and for forecasting activities in line with the work plan and will also conduct Budget Variance Analysis (BVA) meetings for tracking expenses so that overall payment milestones are duly addressed and reconciled as appropriate. The person will also be managing the administrative, Procurement & HR functions at the provincial office.
Finance & Administration Management
- Responsible for overall administrative and HR management at the district level.
- Adhere to the Organisation’s policies/procedures including finance, human resources, security, procurement and logistics, and ensure staff compliance.
- Follow standard procedures with proper approval and ensure timely supply of goods with quality.
- Maintain inventory record having fund/project wise details with placement.
- Initiate tagging of each asset assigning appropriate identification numbers.
- Make sure detail record of each vehicle, process staff claims, and vehicles accidents claims for reimbursements fulfilling prerequisites by coordinating with Head office.Arrange immediate repairs of vehicles in case of accidents.
- Office, equipment maintenance meeting arrangement, logistic and other general administrative activities.
- Ensure smooth operation of the LEAD for SDGs Programme Pakistan activities in the Province, including timely reporting to the line manager.
- Submit an internal monthly report on progress of the project and other reports as necessary.
- Maintain a robust financial system and controls to ensure the efficiency, integrity and transparency of every single transaction in accordance with UCLG ASPAC guidelines, EU and internationally accepted accounting standards;
- Ensure all accounting records and supporting documentation for all financial transactions are maintained in a systematic order and in a safe and secure condition under the custody of the organisation and scanned copies are also saved;
- Coordination with project leads for monthly actual cash projections. Ensure that
- Maintain effective control over cash funds and bank account (ensure that cash in hand
- and bank reconcile with accounting records). Management and routine reconciliation of
- the programme bank account and petty cash funds;
- Support the Finance & Administration Manager for month-end closing procedures and
- data entry in the accounting software;
- Implement provincial staff payroll including responsibility for maintenance of gratuity,
- insurances (if applicable) and disbursements to tax authorities;
- Support the Finance & Administration Manager to plan and manage and update
- Support the Finance & Administration Manager to prepare and reconcile departmental
- work plans with the phased budgets;
- Support the Finance & Administration Manager to prepare monthly planning
- matrix/BVA against the planned activities;
- Contribute to financial management and monitoring through supporting budget tracking
- mechanisms including accurate tracking of over/under spending of activity and output
- Manage the financial records and make it available for monitoring and audit purposes
- Facilitate local tax reporting for the programme;
- Ensure all reports from the field sites are received and submitted on time to M&E Focal
- Person, as needed
- Support procurement in accordance with programme procedures;
- Routine and ad-hoc reporting on financial and payroll matters;
- Facilitate internal / external auditors during internal / external audits;
- Oversee the recruitment and orientation of local project staff.
- Participate in professional development activities, as needed or assigned.
- Provide efficient supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the
- establishment and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated team.
- Ensure the proper implementation of Organisation’s performance management process
- for direct reports, including job description development, regular feedback, mid-term
- reviews, annual performance appraisals and staff training and development.
- Complete other tasks related to finance and administration as reasonably requested by
- the Finance & Administration Manager;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor
Working Conditions & Travel:
- The position is based in Karachi with regular travel to field sites and partly travel to LEAD for
- SDGs Programme Pakistan Office at Islamabad. Each candidate needs to show his/her
- Willingness to travel to remote parts of the Province.
Experience, Skills & Competencies:
- At least, 5 years of experience at the middle level management with proven record of
- effective programme Financial & Administrative management in a reputable national or
- international organisation.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office (word, excel, outlook express, internet, power
- point) and preferably financial management software.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills in Urdu and English. Knowledge of local
- languages, Balochi and Pashtu shall be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in handling complex financial transaction for large
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting and tracking of expenses on a financial system;
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to translate data from local language to English or Urdu
- Experience of planning, organizing and delegating work.
- Time management skills and qualitative report writing experience.
- Experience of working in communities and building collaborative relationships.
- Ability to work in stressful conditions and remote geographical areas.
- Having organisational commitment, personal integrity, ability to work with diverse
- groups of people and respect for others.